Monday, January 28, 2008

Seven layer salad, red velvet cake and puppy chow


The sociologist in me has always loved the fad recipes that sweep through American culture. I remember fondly the days of red velvet cake, and kind of gag when I think the day may come I find myself eating another serving of seven layer salad.

Down here in the rural reaches of Southernmost Illinois we’re fortunate to belong to an electric co-op. That frees us in a New Deal sort of way from corporate utility behemoths like Ameren, and as a result our rates stay low. But my favorite benefit is that each month the co-op sends out a comfy 50s-style magazine, Illinois Country Living, and reading it brings out my inner farmer.

Eventually, I get around to the recipe section, because the offerings, a barometer of what a certain part of America is eating, are also an indication of how America sees itself. It seems only women are allowed to submit these recipes, as if real men don’t cook. Usually, they’re fatty and sweet, and they use a lot of refined and processed foods (1 can Campbell’s™ Mushroom soup, 8 ounces Velveeta™ Cheese...).

This month, as I thumbed through the recipes, I came across one endearingly called, “puppy chow”—a crunchy chocolate-peanut butter thing made out of Crispix™ cereal and Skippy™ peanut butter and Toll House™ morsels. I laughed out loud, and decided I had to make it. The next day I bought a box of Crispix™ and that night mixed in the melted chocolate and peanut butter and then tossed it all in a paper bag filled with powdered sugar.

When the puppy chow was ready, I ate about a dozen pieces and quickly lost interest. It’s no substitute for those organic pecan cookies or even a genuine bowl of ice cream. The dogs can have what’s left of the puppy chow. At two chunks each per night, it’ll last a long time. And besides, they’re already familiar with the form factor.
~

1 comment:

DetroitGirl said...

Remember my Mom's Kool Aide? A Classic.