Thursday, February 7, 2008

on the fence


I hoped it wouldn’t come to this: a moment for Democrats to seize, paralyzed by a 50/50 split in sympathies. The vitriol spewed by both the Obama and Hillary camps has surprised and saddened me.

I understand and support womens’ longing for a female president. Feminine values are sorely needed in the way we shape this world. Maybe we’d have less war, and more caring at home—though forgive me if I’m stereotyping women with that statement. Yet someone’s gender cannot be the defining reason they should be president.

Why does Hillary get to be a feminist champion? Her 35-year claim on experience was mostly played out in her role as someone’s wife—an enabling wife for that matter. I am a man, and I am a feminist. This does not fit my understanding of feminism.

I proudly support our Illinois senator. He opposed the Iraq War from the beginning, when doing so was unpopular. He does not take money from PACs. He inspires. And 43% of the electorate has not gone on record that they would never vote for him. That part of the population does not oppose Hillary because she’s a woman. They oppose her because for some reason, they don’t like or trust her.

For those who are on the fence, I offer links to two videocasts. The first is from Stanford law professor Lawrence Lessig.

The other, you may have seen. It’s the famous Yes We Can song.

My final argument is this: Hillary has taken Barack’s slogan, “yes we can,” and perverted it into “yes she can.” That begs the question: is it about her or us?

~

6 comments:

stellth said...

Unlike the electorate sheep that have been driven into a frenzy about Obama -- I am unimpressed again by these candidates.

I grew weary of this campaign months ago. I can't watch another one of those photo ops they call a debate.


I imagine I will vote for one of the democrats when the time comes. But again it will not be a vote driven by excitement but by duty to keep the republicans out of the white house.

DetroitGirl said...

I'm not on the fence at all. I'd vote for your dog before I'd vote for any Republican.

Michael Nolan said...

Wow, Stella, “electorate sheep?”

I know, at the end of the day, they’re all politicians, but I think he may indeed be sincere. I know someone who knows him, and she’s convinced. (But then again, she’s a politician herself, so it may be the pot calling the kettle beige.)

And think of the image of America if Barack should win: repaired around the world.

Gail, which dog? Rory would be more telegenic, but I think Sam would put up with less shit.

stellth said...

yes sheep.

They are all following each other and they aren't even sure why.

America will be better off when George Bush is gone yes. America will be better off with either of the democratic parties current candidates.

Also, I don't think the image of America will be repaired around the world by a president Obama. Oh, no it will take much more than that.

stellth said...

sorry for my bad spelling... I didn't really look before I hit send.

DetroitGirl said...

There's always Secretary of State...for Sam.